Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A-Z Challenge ~ COSMETICS: IS IT WORTH USING ORGANIC? (Letter C)

I’m participating in the A-Z Blogging Challenge. I’ve decided I’ll be blogging about natural health and beauty because it’s something I’m really interested in and something I haven’t written about before on this blog. Please remember that I’m not a qualified doctor or natural health practitioner. What I blog about is entirely my own opinion.


COSMETICS: IS IT WORTH USING ORGANIC?

After reading an insightful article about the harmful ingredients in cosmetics by I QUIT SUGAR author Sarah Wilson (LINK), it got me thinking about all the gunk that I slather on my skin on a daily basis. It’s actually quite jaw-dropping. I didn’t think that I used an excess of products. I mean, I don’t use primer, hair mousse, mascara, lipstick, make-up remover or heavy perfume. Yet the products that I do use… that face wash, that concealer, that SPF30 daily tinted moisturiser, that eyeliner, that nail polish, that bronzer… all those products still contain a cocktail of chemicals that are just plain bad for your body. When you consider how the skin absorbs these ingredients so readily, it’s any wonder that some experts believe it would be safer to eat some of these products than wear them, due to the enzymes in our guts that can break down the chemicals.

So, what’s the solution?

In my opinion, it’s impossible to avoid all the chemicals in your cosmetics. Added to that, you don’t want to waste all your moolah by throwing everything out and buying a whole new cupboard full of organic products. (Sidenote: I’ve found that you need to read the labels very carefully. Often the labels of “organic” and “natural” do not mean that the product *is* certified organic and natural.) What I’ve discovered that works for me is to replace products that I use, one-by-one. I started using organic in 2012. I’m still replacing products now, but it hasn’t felt like a taxing, overwhelming exercise because I’ve replaced slowly.

Here are some of the products that I used to use and the products that I’ve swapped them out with:

BODY WASH
BEFORE: Johnson and Johnson’s 24 hour moisturising cream wash
NOW: Billy Goat soap hand and body wash

FACE WASH
BEFORE: Cetaphil (contains: sodium laurel sulphate, propylene glycol and three parabens – methylparaben, propylparaben and butylparaben)
NOW: Moogoo Milk Wash

DEODORANT
BEFORE: Dove (contains: aluminium) *See THIS POST for more on aluminium in deodorant.
NOW: Sanctum

SHAMPOO
BEFORE: Pantene (contains: petrochemicals amongst other nasties)
NOW: Moogoo Milk Shampoo

Just a final thought.

Using organic products is not for everyone, it’s totally a personal choice. Having used non-organics for many years, there’s no way I can tell people to stop using them without sounding like a complete loon.

However, if you’d like to learn more, I’d recommend Jillian Michael’s fantastic book MASTER YOUR METABOLISM and SLOW DEATH BY RUBBER DUCK by Rick Smith and Bruce Lourie.

Until tomorrow xx

3 comments:

Medeia Sharif said...

I haven't looked into organic products. Now you've got me thinking about these chemicals.

T. Drecker said...

Organic products are BIG over here in Europe. I'm on the hunt for good recipes for goat soap and lotion. You wouldn't happen to know any, would you?

Unknown said...

Medeia: It's an eye-opener for sure. I didn't think about it at all until last year!

T. Drecker: Europe has a great selection! I've never made my own soap or lotion. Here's the link for the place I get my goat soap though: http://www.billiegoatsoap.com.au/ Have you tried jojoba oil? It's a great body lotion.

Kathy